ESS MEETING - STREAM A
Friday March 1 2002
3:30 - 5:30
Sean (Vice President Academic)
Wayne (Vice President External)
Jane (Director of Communications)
Treva (Director of
Tariq (Director of Services)
Jennie (Editor of Fishwrap)
Quote of the Week
- "The price to pay for political silence and apathy is to be governed by
those who are worse than oneself."
- Exec business cards are here!
- Available in the office.
- Craig gave brief overview as follows:
- Tuition will be increasing from $2600 to $3700 per year
- Hikes are expected to continue annually.
- There will also be a differential fee used to improve the faculty in
- Dean Miller will create a link on the ESS website in order to fully
- Dean Miller gave $4000.00
- UVSS gave $500.00
- We are waiting to hear from APEG-BC
- As a result of the division of the money into two parts, the application
period will be shorter this semester.
- Advertising will be put in Fishwrap, sent out on link, and on posters
- Planned to occur before April this semester.
- Executive voted to have elections occur before the end of the semester.
- Tenatively planned for sometimes from Mar. 20 to Mar. 30
- Posters will be put up ASAP.
- New Frosh Co-Chairs are Destry and Ryan.
Vice President Academic
- 1B schedule looked good.
- 3A schedule has been revised.
Coop Committee Meeting
- Wayne will be replacing Gordon as 3rd year rep.
- Jason Linder will be the 1st year rep.
- If anyone has a concern with summer semester courses, let Sean know
- Next B.Eng meeting is scheduled for March 28 at 2:30pm.
- Jane will represent.
Vice President External
ECE Curriculum Committee Meeting
- There are talks of new regulations such as tutorials for all classes
- More information will be available soon.
- Letter was sent and a follow-up will come Monday or Tuesday.
- Industry Night is proposed to occur either the 26th or the 27th.
- CSC will be asked which is their preference.
- $600.00 surplus.
- $300.00 goes into the endowment fund.
- $300.00 is added to the Misc. budget.
- All reimbursement checks have been written.
- Scehduled for March 15.
- Advertise through class announcements and Fishwrap.
- Non-profit organization shouldn't gain money.
- Plan to spend money on student activities.
- Exec is asked to send suggestions to Kane this week and we will discuss
them at next meeting.
Director of Communications
Order of Pi
- The Zone will have a pieing Thursday 8:30.
- Time-Colonist will write an article next week.
- The New VI will put it on their calendar.
- We will air a Speaker's Corner episode next week.
- Queen Alex will advertise and has a contact at Shaw.
- We already have $700.00 for pies.
- Sarah Webb of UVSS will end out an e-mail school-wide.
- Jane will put it on the UVIC calendar.
Director of Events
Order of Pie
- Postponed one week.
- Week of March 4th will be advertising.
- Week of 11th will be the pieings.
- Subs and BPs at night.
- Will occur Sunday March 23rd.
- Fred Foster will be the Tsar of the Engr Games.
Director of Services
- If anyone needs any new supplies for the office, let Tariq know.
- Foos players will be here soon.
- Prices are expected to be under $80.00 not including the 7% UVIC fee.
- Tariq plans to meet with Linda about waving the UVIC fee.
- Let Tariq know what you think about the jackets ASAP.
Editor of Fishwrap
- Last Mondays edition was cancelled.
- Talk to Jennie if you're willing to write for the next Edition.
- Next issue should be this Monday.
- Fro Selection will begin next week.
Engineers without Borders
- Next meeting is 5:30pm in ELL 060.
- Tom reminded us that there are several GoWesst jobs now available.
- Spoke on behalf of faculty about not wanting the tuition hike.
- Explained 1.6 - 1.76 above 30% for differential fee.
- Differential fees will be used to keep the operation of the faculty up to
- $97 000 will be used in buseries and the rest will go towards general
operation, including labs and TAs.
- He expressed his belief that the tuition freeze has been detrimental to
- Next meeting will be Monday Marh 4th at 11:45am.
- Dean Miller's e-mail is firstname.lastname@example.org if there are an concerns.
Thought of the Day
- "I was going to talk about procrastination, but I don't feel like doing it
now, so I'm just going to go have a beer instead."