June 3, 2003

 

  • Attendees:  Nikin Popat, Kinman Lam, Marc Doucette (excused late), Jason Wei, Chris Garand, Wayne Choi, Sherry Dhillon (excused late), Kelly Stich, Matt Edwards, Julie, Shauna
  • President
    • Executive Outing
      • July 5th Pitch and Putt at Henderson
    • Summaries are to be filled out as you organize events
    • APEG
      • Should we vote at an AGM or ask for a group rate?
      • Should we ask the Dean to send out a message about it or put something on the Co-op board to let students know about it?
      • We should try to have the fee passed at the AGM first if it doesn’t go through then ask about arranging some sort of group rate
      • If we have the Dean send out a message it doesn’t look like we’re promoting it but we don’t want to risk offending APEG either
      • Find out if we can get a group rate at put the issue up at an AGM
      • Do we want to look at the all students option or getting a group rate?
      • We’d have to OK a group rate idea with APEG first so we should simply put APEG’s suggestion to an AGM
      • Action Item:  Wayne-Talk to stream B about the issue and create a proposal to be voted on at the next AGM
  • VP-Academic
    • Casino
      • People are interested in going back because they lost money
      • Maybe plan another event for the future
      • Liked the learning part of the night but using real money wasn’t as great…
      • Make a trip out to the casino a charity thing but make sure the community is involved
      • There was some sort of event where people would run the casino and get some money for it but I can’t remember how this worked…
    • Charity Event
      • We should have had a team in the 24-hr relay
      • Habitat for Humanity-go out and volunteer-there is nothing available right now
      • Science Venture-help them out at the Canada Day event at Beacon Hill park
      • Help at a soup kitchen
      • Host a BBQ-no it would just end up being students
      • We need to make an event that would be high profile so that the community is involved
      • Have a pancake breakfast
      • Action Item:  Marc-Call the Zone and see if they have any charity events that they’ll be working on
    • Poster Posting
      • Marc and Kinman cleaned up
      • Still trying to get a hold of the Dean
      • There should be a policy manual for posting guidelines somewhere in the office
        • Pub crawls aren’t actually supposed to be advertised but we probably don’t have to worry about it but just make sure we don’t put UVic on it anywhere
    • Research Project Day
      • Have had some responses
      • If anyone is interested in talking to some profs let Kelly know
    • Co-op BBQ
      • Friday 12pm-3pm
      • Food will be free
      • Action Item:  Matt-make class announcements
    • Co-op Meeting
      • Thursday 2pm in the ESS office
    • ECE Meeting
      • Minutes will be posted online
  • VP-External
    • Industry Night
      • Went well
      • Approximately 9 industry representatives
      • The industry reps weren’t very outgoing
      • Many people showed up just for the food
      • The industry reps were fine about talking once you got them started but nothing was really gained from doing so
      • Overall think the old format was better that way the reps tell you what they think is important for you to learn
    • Communication
      • Action Item:  Marc-talk to APEG about finding out if they could e-mail us the information about each of their monthly meetings
  • Treasurer
    • Intramural
      • Don’t think we should pay the full amount-maybe only half?
      • The advertisement was not very big
      • It may have been in the budget but we should still pay for it as it was said that it would be
      • Just sponsor half and say sorry about the mix up
      • If we sponsor events it should just be us organizing them
      • The sponsorship was meant to be a one time thing and should not have been expected to be a regular thing
      • Action Item:  Wayne-Talk to Craig and Mike and find out the full details as to what was said-if we feel responsible pay half if not pay zero
      • The total amount is $145
  • Director of Communications
    • Fishwrap
      • Action Item:  Everyone-Send any articles you want included to Matt
      • Action Item:  Nikin make the ladder rules so that Matt can post them!
  • Corporate Relations
    • Action Item:  Kinman-Send out some e-mails to a few companies
    • Action Item:  Kinman-Talk to stream B about what they’ve been doing
    • Try talking to some food places
      • Try the pizza by the slice places downtown and maybe ask for some 2 for 1 coupons
    • Other companies to try:  Weyerhaeuser, Twister (the foosball company)
    • Action Item:  Kinman-Talk to Beau about a sponsorship letter
    • Action Item:  Kinman-Get stuff for the Pub Crawl
  • Director of Events
    • Pubcrawl
      • The contact at Felicita’s is sick so it has been hard to get a hold of him
      • The plan:  Felicita’s à Sticky (with Volleyball courts) à Bar Vic à One
      • Tickets can start being sold for $20 each
      • Food will be a burger and fries
      • Keep track of tickets sold and the type of food ordered on the spreadsheet in the lock box
      • Make class announcements
      • T-shirts have been ordered
      • Action Item:  Jason-Write Chris a cheque for the shirts
      • There will be 90 tickets in total but two have been given away
      • Sarah had thought she came up with the t-shirt idea (but it was not submitted to Fishwrap) and should receive a free ticket-voted against giving her a ticket
      • Busses have been booked for ~2hrs
      • Game ideas:  Marshmallows, a boat race with everyone (too difficult to organize and not everyone will want to do it so just have smaller ones)
      • Need raffle tickets to give out to people that say the type of food they are to receive-tickets will be given out at Felicita’s with shirts
  • Director of Services
    • Squash
      • The ladder is up on the web
      • Physical one will be made
      • There will be prizes periodically
    • Printer
      • There is no current sponsor
      • Announce printers gave us the current one
      • Action Item:  Nikin-Talk to Announce Printers about a new deal
    • Intramural Teams
      • See Above
      • At the last meeting of each semester it should be decided what team we want to enter-no outside group should be allowed to be sponsored
      • We could still organize teams without paying-just organize people and let them use the jerseys
      • We should choose if we want to sponsor each semester or never
      • Current team wants the jerseys
      • We would have to pay upfront to enter a team
      • Maybe wait and see if we’ll be getting the fee increase
      • Would not be a set team-anyone could play at anytime in the semester
      • If we get the fee increase we will enter one team per semester, if no new money, then we’ll just organize teams and not pay
    • Photocopier
      • John Kirpatrick will make something to lock the photocopier and will fix the foosball table too
      • The photocopier isn’t ours so nothing can be drilled into it etc.
      • Suggestion that we buy him beer but we can’t just do that because everyone puts in time so buy buying him some we’d be saying that his time was more important than someone else’s (that’s what the volunteer thank you is supposed to be)
      • General feeling-we should still do something extra
      • The Exec will take Destry and John (if he builds both things) out for dinner as a special thank you
  • Secretary
    • Directories
      • Have been sent out but there are no 4B Mech’s as I never received the list of them
    • Office Cleaning
      • The office stinks!  Can we get the carpets cleaned?
      • Action Item:  Kinman-Find out if Facilities is responsible for cleaning the office

 

Action Items

 

Everyone

  • Send any articles you want included to Matt

Wayne

  • Talk to Craig and Mike and find out the full details as to what was said-if we feel responsible pay half if not pay zero
  • Talk to stream B about the issue and create a proposal to be voted on at the next AGM

Marc

  • Call the Zone and see if they have any charity events that they’ll be working on
  • Talk to APEG about finding out if they could e-mail us the information about each of their monthly meetings

Matt

  • Make class announcements

Nikin

  • Talk to Announce Printers about a new deal
  • Make the ladder rules so that Matt can post them!

Kinman

  • Send out some e-mails to a few companies
  • Talk to stream B about what they’ve been doing
  • Talk to Beau about a sponsorship letter
  • Find out if Facilities is responsible for cleaning the office
  • Get stuff for the Pub Crawl

Jason

  • Write Chris a cheque for the shirts