Sign Out
Compose   Addresses   Folders   Options   Search   Help   Email Administrator


Viewing a text attachment - View message
Download this as a file

January 9, 2004

 

  • Attendees:  Brendan Thompson, Sundeep Rana, Tiffany Jaster, Nikin Popat, Kinman Lam, Marc Doucette, Jason Wei, Chris Garand (late), Wayne Choi, Sherry Dhillon, Matt Edwards (late), Kelly Stich, Aiden, Laura (late), Lisanne (late), Passaree (late)

 

  • Good things about last semester:
    • Squash ladder
    • New equipment
    • Trying new events
    • New sign out policies
    • Good reps for external events
    • Good team to send to WECC
    • The golf tourney
    • The Friday events
    • Diversity in the events we held
    • Matrix ‘til Midnight
    • Soccer
    • Planning in advance
    • Fishwrap going out on time
  • Things we need to improve:
    • Directories need to get out sooner
    • Action Item:  Sherry-Get the directory sign up sheets ready for next meeting
    • Develop relationships with other universities
    • Get more people involved
    • Increase attendance to events-work on getting first years and bridge students involved
    • Put the calendar where more people will see it-maybe under the TV?
    • Budget needs to be more organized-we need to know where we are going to be spending our money so all the exec are aware about it as well
    • Better advertising-many Fishwraps were made but were people reading them?
    • Having a more diverse exec-the majority of us are all from the same year and discipline and were friends before getting on the exec
    • Getting first years involved
    • Have a co-op liaison-should be a student who has been on a couple co-ops
    • Have a Frosh president-a student that is elected by the first years to represent them
    • Have a sports representative who can assist with the organization of all sporting events
    • Talk to Stream B exec to get the names of first years that might be interested in being involved
    • Start a committee for events
      • Members might be able to provide contacts
      • Get non-execs so we can get more people involved
      • This will also help in getting information out about events to more people
      • Action Item:  Chris-Set up an events committee and contact the Stream B Director of Events
    • Have a first years event
    • Have two new first year positions (they would not be “official” position)
      • Have defined roles so they know what they will be doing and getting themselves into
      • Treat them as execs
      • Have one first year for event support
      • Define their roles as we go?
      • Will we have enough people interested?
        • It would be sad if we didn’t this time as so few positions are becoming available
      • Have two positions-Events and Academic
      • Academic could inform us as to what is going on in first year courses-we don’t need this as this should be taken care of by the VPA
      • Leave the positions general s they can do a bit of everything
      • Use their position title as a guideline
      • Maybe they shouldn’t have titles-it might be intimidating
      • They should be iven specific tasks but leave all other options open to them
      • Have a “mentor” so they have someone to guide them-let them choose who their mentor will be?
      • Closing:
        • 2 first year reps will be elected
        • They will have specific jobs (events and communication) and will still be floaters
        • A Co-op Liaison position will be added
        • Action Item:  Nikin and Kelly-write up a Co-op Liaison position description and send it to Wayne by Tuesday
        • Action Item:  Brendan and Marc-make first year position description and send it to Wayne by Tuesday
    • Some disruption was due to the exec change over as much of the exec were new
    • Accountability- we need to take on responsibility for everything when an event is under your care-his does not mean having to do all the work yourself just make sure that all the work is done
    • New event planning/summary sheets have been made
      • Action Item:  Everyone-If you have any suggestions as to how these can be improved e-mail Wayne by Tuesday
    • Exec goals/objectives-makes you keep track of what you’re doing/ should be doing over the semester and helps you keep focused on your tasks
    • Meetings need to be more productive
    • Weekly/Bi-weekly summaries should be sent to the President so they always know what is going on
    • A chair needs to set up for the major events held each semester-Wayne will be the chair for Order of Pi
      • Action Item:  Wayne-meet with Kelly to start Order of Pi organization
      • A Dis-O chair should also be selected
    • Events
      • Keep the every Friday events going
      • Find an event that can be the “big thing” for the semester
      • We need to have some sort of UVic engineering identity-maybe this could be tied to the big event somehow?
      • We have the fleeces-could something be done with them?
      • Try to find an event that could potentially become a tradition
      • Try something with bathrobes?
    • AGM
      • Will be Wednesday Jan 28 at 2:30 in the ELW
      • If you can’t make it and want to run for an event you can talk to Wayne or Kelly
  • Aiden
    • Wants to start a speaker series
    • Would be every Friday from 1:30-3:30
    • Every Friday might be too often?  Maybe have it once a month with a choice of who to go see?
    • No-people would probably go every week
    • 13 presenters are interested in coming
    • Needs help with promotion
    • Get the business students involved?
    • Action Item: Marc-contact the business student society
    • First talk would be January 23
    • Post the information on the ESS website
    • Would like a couple people to help him out
  • Budget Ideas
    • Enter an intramural sports team-cost $168
    • White board markers
    • Action Item:  Wayne-Get a Key for the Fishwrap editor
    • Put more money towards events
    • Buy a digital camera with extended warranty!
    • Buy a printer for the ESS office
    • Get promotional material-stickers, pens, new shirts, maybe a more professional shirt, hats (baseball), key chains, beer mugs
    • Action Item:  Nikin-Look into buying a printer and digital camera for next meeting
    • Put more money towards congress and other external events
    • Shampoo the office carpet
    • New TV
    • New couches
    • Textbooks
    • Put money towards more visible things
    • Sports equipment
    • Jerseys-get generic ones that say Engineering Athletics
      • Action Item:  Nikin-Check if we have a full set of Jerseys and look into ordering new ones
    • Have a free monthly BBQ?
    • Action Item:  Everyone-Write down any ideas you have as to how we can use the new money we have
    • Action Item:  Everyone-Find your Exec notebook!!
    • Action Item:  Everyone-Write up Fishwrap articles and send them to Matt ASAP

 

Next meeting:  Wednesday 2:00, Exec meeting Sunday 1pm for Events, Fishwrap and Office hours

 

Action Items

Sherry

·        Get the directory sign up sheets ready for next meeting

Chris

·        Set up an events committee and contact the Stream B Director of Events

Marc

·        Contact the business student society

Kelly

·        Write up a Co-op Liaison position description with Nikin and send it to Wayne by Tuesday

Wayne

·        Meet with Kelly to start Order of Pi organization

·        Get a Key for the Fishwrap editor

Nikin

·        Write up a Co-op Liaison position description with Kelly and send it to Wayne by Tuesday

·        Look into buying a printer and digital camera for next meeting

·        Check if we have a full set of Jerseys and look into ordering new ones

Everyone

·        If you have any suggestions as to how the Event Summary/Planning Sheets can be improved e-mail Wayne by Tuesday

·        Write down any ideas you have as to how we can use the new money we have

·        Write up Fishwrap articles and send them to Matt ASAP

·        Find your Exec notebook!!