Sean calls the meeting to order at 17:10, seconded by JP.

 

Meeting attendees include:

Liam ("marko") Butters

Sean ("polo") Walsh

J ("this slushie is hella good") P

Trevor (rabbit) Thompson

Janel (the bandit) Willms

Marnie (Lori) Woodman

Stephanie (van man) Morrison

Michael (ginger) Fryer

Karl (the plant) Fort

Andrew (the cherriot) Herriot

 

 

SUMMARY OF ACTION ITEMS WITHIN THE MINUTES:

 

ACTION ITEM: Sean and/or Liam will begin the process of obtaining a fitting jacked for the new Dean.

ACTION ITEM: Liam needs to find somebody to work on the website and Sean needs to find a way to pay this person.

ACTION ITEM: Karl and Liam need to ensure that the old exams stay out of the departments hands and check over the server etc.

ACTION ITEM: Liam put a link on the website to as many of our in house pics using something like photobucket or flickr etc.

ACTION ITEM: Karl, get all of the photos together so we can make our own repository or at least use them with the photobucket or flickr link as mentioned above.

ACTION ITEM: All executives keep your eyes peeled like bananas for a couch to add in the office. Preferably close so Sean, Trev, Liam and Karl can hoof it here for the price of a six pack.

ACTION ITEM: Sean and Liam will interview the new Dean of Engineering for the fishwrap using the same style as for the interview with Dean Miller when he departed.

ACTION ITEM: Janel, find out how Stream B got this working and what we need to know to use it as well. How it works, do this do that......

ACTION ITEM: Liam needs to find out how much money is available to run a diso-event. Something fun to welcome the bridgies and brand new students to their official stream.

ACTION ITEM: JP, sometime devote the "5 minutes" it will take to set this whole thing up. Looking forward to it.

ACTION ITEM: Karl, please get together the office supplies listed below.

 

 

Sean begins his speech, cue theme song, Sean finishes inspiring just as the track ends. The new members of the executive are transitioned and informed as to their duties and their obligations of joining the brother/sisterhood of the Engineering Students Society.

 

All executives are asked to bear in mind while brainstorming ideas that they should be brought to other members attention but you need not have their entire approval to continue the project in your own time. This being said all members should question whether their project will be benefiting the ESS and therefore the students of UVic Engineering.

 

Regular Business:

 

  1. Viking

 

Sean will be determining the feasibility and our ability to copyright the Viking Logo that appears in half of the new Engendas. This discussion sidetracks to a unified UVic Engineering logo and is called to question by Janel.

 

  1. External Mailbox

 

An external mailbox for an address permanent to the Engineering Students Society is discussed. Conclusion of debate and points of information yield an agreement that a PO BOX or something similar is required.

 

  1. Relationship with the Dean

 

Sean and Liam see it a wise choice to provide the new Dean of Engineering with a free‑o‑charge jacket. The executive decides this a good idea.

ACTION ITEM: Sean and/or Liam will begin the process of obtaining a fitting jacked for the new Dean.

 

  1. Fishwrap contributions

 

Liam lays down a publishing date of Wednesday evening for distribution to CSC 111 Thursday at 10:00 am. Articles are required by Tuesday of the same week though promised, edited, polished articles will be accepted no later then Wednesday at 17:00 hours.

 

Further discussion asks each member to spend a couple of minutes one morning chewing out a "grinds my gears" one liner. For articles by Ledo Vobis any personal attacks, specific people in a private sector, or attacks without enough proof/cause will not be printed. Conclusion: Ensure that opinions are shared by a majority of people and your argument can hold water

 

  1. Office Space (not the movie)

 

The obvious "cramped style" that the Engineering Students Society faces each day, in its little office hosting nine executives and many students, is being addressed. A new ballin office is being considered, much further discussion between executives and those up top is required.

 

  1. First year student improvements

 

We should find a place to have first years work together (share the work load) and be more involved with each other.

 

  1. Website

 

ACTION ITEM: Liam needs to find somebody to work on the website and Sean needs to find a way to pay this person.

 

  1. Exams and the Website

 

ACTION ITEM: Karl and Liam need to ensure that the old exams stay out of the departments hands and check over the server etc.

 

  1. Travel Fund

 

Issues surrounding the travel fund need to be worked out so that travel to conferences, WEC and many other events can happen. Sean is looking into this with the Dean of Engineering.

 

  1. Beach Fest

 

Sean wants to get a beach festival planned before the weather disappears behind the cloud of midterms and mother nature.

 

Things To Do:

 

  1. Frosh Pics on Website

 

Action Item: Liam put a link on the website to as many of our in house pics using something like photobucket or flickr etc.

 

  1. Photo Repository

 

Action Item: Karl, get all of the photos together so we can make our own repository or at least use them with the photobucket or flickr link as mentioned above.

 

  1. Third Couch

 

Action Item: All executives keep your eyes peeled like bananas for a couch to add in the office. Preferably close so Sean, Trev, Liam and Karl can hoof it here for the price of a six pack.

 

  1. Interview with new Dean

 

Action Item: Sean and Liam will interview the new Dean of Engineering for the fishwrap using the same style as for the interview with Dean Miller when he departed.

 

  1. Access to a workshop

 

Can someone work on this so we can get more things created for the office. i.e. how Karl put together the shelving unit we currently adore.

 

  1. Paypal account

Action Item: Janel, find out how Stream B got this working and what we need to know to use it as well. How it works, do this do that......

 

Events:

 

  1. Pubcrawl coming up

 

  1. kegger (pre drink location)

 

The ESS has come up with a location but that will remain secret within my minutes logbook in case some crazy student accidentally trips over the link to this page.

 

  1. paintball

 

Will someone find out what our options there are, the interest from students, the costs associated (payed by each player not the ESS, not a dime)

 

  1. orientation Olympics

everyone wants to get this rolling, Sean especially, something about leapfrog while...nvm.

 

'"Point Of Information, this slushie is hella good" -JP

 

  1. disorientation event

 

Action Item: Liam needs to find out how much money is available to run a diso-event. Something fun to welcome the bridgies and brand new students to their official stream.

 

  1. epic movie nights

Need I say more? We'll probably start with Fight Club or some other movie with stunning shots of B. Pitt but eventually we'll work it down to Lord of The Rings thingy.

 

  1. Industry night

Students pay a little cash for a real expensive classy meal and time. They can network with many sponsors. POI: APEGBC will provide $500 big ones to put towards this alone. Bringing in sponsors from far out (AB etc) will help break students from regional boundaries.

 

  1. Squash night

Action Item: JP, sometime devote the "5 minutes" it will take to set this whole thing up. Looking forward to it.

 

  1. Bug Push

 

From the laundry list of pre-bug-push chores, what remains??? Anyone? Anyone?..Buhler?

 

  1. Wesst/PM/Congress/APEGBC

 

  1. Surf Trip

 

Have gnarly dudes start signing up and chatting about the event on its facebook group page. Need to book by end of September for the first weekend of reading break.

 

  1. Thank you dinner

 

Make sure we thank everyone, leave no man, woman or company behind. For the students we could thank them by giving out tickets or whatnot as a thank you for being a host etc.

 

  1. Thank you diner

 

Not hating on dyslexics, just Sean's ENGRISH

 

  1. Prof/Student Dinner

 

We already have $200 big ones set aside for this event. Best bet would be to have another Nacho's and a single free beer thing at Felicitas if it ever opens up. Expletive deleted!

 

  1. DODGEBALL

 

‘Nuff said. Lets do this thing.

 

Needed office supplies:

 

MOTION: Be it resolved that Stephanie (van man) Morrison needs to shred or have shredded her UVSS agenda and begin strictly using the provided ENGENDA.

 

Office hours: See Janel's sheet cause I'm an idiot and didn't write even my own down.

 

Meeting Times: The most glorious Engineering Student Society's Executives hath chosen Wednesdays at 5:30 to hold their chamber errrr meeting thingy. Round table??

 

Minutes be Trevor William Thompson (Bill)