ESS STREAM B MEETING MINUTES
WEDNESDAY January 20, 1999
Aaron Holtzman (President)
Mike Fischer (Director of Events)
Andrew Preston (VP External)
Megan Howell-Jones (Secretary)
Chris Singer (Secretary)
TJ Drennan (Treasurer)
Chris Bowness (3A Mech Rep)
Karl Honisch (4B ECE Rep)
We have a good numbers of 1st year reps in attendance, and we have a lot
of commisioner positions available for them to fill. The following
are positions filled:
|Exam Cabinet Maintenance
|Job Cabinet Maintenance
|Keeper of the Tree
|Web Page Maintenance
Committees have begun to be formed as well. These are unfinished
and new members will be added during the AGM.
*The orientation committee should begin meeting soon and
between the people listed above, a committee head will be chosen.
||Kevin, Pamela Bedeski, Tom Owen, Francois Beaudet, Kyle McWilliam,
Raj Paul, David Black, Chris Ross, Mark Kowal, Shalene George
||Raj Paul, David Black, Chris Ross
|Order of Pi
||David Black, Chris Ross
|Tubes and Wires
||Briac Medard de Chardon
||Chris Bowness, Jason
Stream A does not have enough money to pay for their part of the foos table,
so we will have to span their payments over a few semesters. TJ will
set up a payment plan for them.
Highlights of budget allocations for this semester are as follows:
Proffesional Development: $2000
Events Contigency Fund: $750
Tubes and Wires: $200
Scanner/Modem for fax machine, exam cabinet online: $150
3. CEC Money
Andrew received an email from the VP West of the CFES asking us on behalf
of CEC 99 to ask our Dean for money. He feels that we should not
support this as not only was CEC '99 operating under budget last time dollar
amounts were given, but also because we should be asking our Dean for money
only when it concerns UVic engineering students more directly. The consensus
in general by all in attendance was not to ask.
4. PNECT (Pacific Northwest Environmental Conservation Treaty)
Save Water...Drink Beer. ERTW.
The schedule for PNECT has been finalized. Friday night is
arrivals and a pub sit at an undetermined pub. Saturday at 1pm we
will go to the Leonardo Da Vinci Tour at the Museum. At 4pm we will
ride a double decker bus to our first pub crawl destination with a mini
tour on the way.
The cost per person will be $25.
Expected number of people will not exceed 70, counting both our school
and the other schools. We will try to limit our school's numbers
to match the other schools.
5. $4000 UVSS Debt
The $4000 debt which we believed was mythical is in fact true. Our
stream owes the UVSS $4000 because we were given a pre-payment for student
fees from them the same year as we transferred payment from the UVSS to
the University (1997). Accounting from that time is very fuzzy, so
it is hard to see what exactly happened. There is a probability that
the cheque that went missing last semester that came because of back payments
is linked to this, so TJ will get hold of University administration regarding
this. Should we have to pay the $4000, we would have to halve our
6. Logo Contest
Our logo has been banned, so we need to find a way to get around putting
UVic and alcohol together on it. Possibilities are to simply delete
the word UVic from it, or to get a new logo that does not have alcohol.
We are looking for submissions for logos that will work and we will show
some of the suggestions at the AGM to get an idea of what we want.
A reason not to use the current logo without UVic is that we can't couple
it with Science Venture or things like that. In the past we have
therefore used 2 logos: One for merchandise and another for official papers.
This may be something we can implement, but our current "unalcohol" logo
has been deemed "ugly" by some, so we still need to look for a new one.
Everything for WECC has been finalized. We are sending 4 teams -
2 first year team design teams and 2 senior debate teams. Unfortuanatly,
the organizers for WECC just finalized the schedule too and put the plenary
at a time after which everyone but TJ and Andrew have left. Since
the plenary won't be too important to most, this shouldn't be a large problem.
8. WECC '99 Computer
The WECC committee does not own their own computer, so we are looking at
the possiblity of loaning our old one to them. Our old one is currently
sitting idle, and nobody had any objections to this, so we will propose
this to the committee.
We have an excess number of fridges sitting in the office, and getting
rid of one would free up space for a new game machine. We talked
about this last semester as well, so this should be done soon. Before
we get rid of one, we must decide which one to get rid of (we must keep
the ones that fit the kegs).
10. Commerce Society Events
Commerce society will be skiing at the same time as we will.
Chris will liase with them to start more events together.
9. Meeting Adjourned 18:22