ESS STREAM B MEETING MINUTES
WEDNESDAY October 13, 1999
- Chris Bowness - V.P. Academic (3B Mech)
- Andrew Preston (V.P. Internal)
- Craig Rice - V.P. External (2B Elec)
- TJ Drennan (Treasurer)
- Chris Singer
- Kevin Maxwell - Secretary (2A Elec)
- David Black - Secretary (2A Mech)
- 3B Reps:
- Matt Gunther
- Jay Walls
- Gabriel Bowers
- Chris Moeller
- 2A Reps:
- 1A Reps:
1. 3B Exam Schedule
petitions for both classes Mech 3B and Elec 3B have been signed.
awaiting consideration by Dr. Ale.
2. Science and Technology Competition (Saturday October 16, 1999)
- organization headed by Andrew Preston
- will take place from 10:00 am to about 2:00 pm
- approximately 30 students expected to attend
- any additional ideas or presentations that you may have from a work-term or project would be appreciated.
- short meeting to discuss details of this event will be held right after this meeting, at 6:30 pm.
- Andrew was TARDY; he feels bad.
3. West Olympics
Nadine Kosch is trying to organize a new Engineering Olympic Event at U of S.
expected to take place between 22nd and 23rd of January.
a bus could be booked between UBC, SFU and UVic.
Craig Rice open to helping with organization of this event; more information to follow in the near future.
4. Skating Social
planned for mid-November on a late Saturday evening, at the Oak Bay Recreation Centre.
the entire rink can be rented for $50/hr including free rentals.
regular rates on Saturday: $2.25 rental/skate.
Chris Ross will most likely take up the organization of this event (November 20th)
5. Commerce Halloween Party
- to take place Thursday, October 28th at ACCESS.
- promotion for event to be posted in Tubes and Wires
- posters will be made soon for ELW posting.
6. Tubes and Wires Budget
- due to this terms issues being longer than normal, Chris Bowness has exceeded his photocopy budget and will need approximately $50.00 extra.
- the issue is no big deal, a larger budget will be proposed at the next AGM.
7. Mechanical Machine Shop Future
- as it stands, students cannot use the equipment currently situated in the Machine Shop.
- a new hired TA will be able to allow access to the equipment in January.
- Chris Bowness proposes a new hands-on course in practical shop skills and knowledge.
- Chris will be consulting with students currently in Mech 2A and 1B Mechs.
- hoping to have written detailed proposal of course outlines to give to other stream.
- will inform people to remove stuff from lockers before lock cutting date which would be 2 weeks into May (giving 8 months to inform them)
- currently are trying to form agreement with the Dean’s Office – they are on vacation.
- Chris would like to have answer by end of October.
9. Team Work Skills Seminar
- one 2 hr seminar proposed by Faculty member in nursing to teach team work skills.
- will try to get 30 people or so to participate.
- will take place on a weekday in November.
10. Additional Notes
- Malahat Auto still owns the Bug. We plan to keep it at least until the looney drive as a mascot.
- the United Way is having a barbeque from 11:30 – 1:30 pm next Wednesday.
- business cards for executive members are available now in the office (however a new better order has been sent out for stiffer cards.)
- next edition to be 8 pages (Chris Bowness' birthday issue.)
- Megan will write article describing Science and Engineering day planned for high school students.
8. Dynamic study skills seminar
1 to 2 hr. seminar offered to Engineers to teach better group working skills.
to take place sometime in November, no mention of cost yet.
9. Commerce Meeting
the United Way wants to extend the Bug's fundraising potential by making it into the world's largest piggy bank. The car is to be driven around town on a flat bed truck and be filled with coins.
this charity operation is going to be handled in part or all by Commerce.
there will be a meeting about it in Felicitas on October 4, 6:00 pm.
10. Additional Notes
the E.S.S. will look into the feasibility of buying a slurpy machine.
personal photos of the Executive were taken today, courtesy of Jay Walls.
E.S.S. will distribute Thursday night tickets for Evolution. $2 drinks; tickets are priced at $5 but will be sold for $4. $1.75 of that to go towards the United Way.